Or, "Happy Actual Taxation Day". If you owe, don't forget to get your check in the mail TODAY!
Okay, America, now you're making me crazy.
Here's how it works…
- You make money.
- The government steals your money.
- At the end of the year you figure out how much more the government stole than the law allows them to keep.
- Whatever the government stole that is OVER the amount that they are allowed by law to keep, you get back!
- You are allowed to try to get back a little bit more of the money, even though they are allowed by law to keep it, by a dizzying array of magical things called "deductions". Make sure you try to figure out and "claim" all these "deductions".
- The government then writes you a check for the amount of money that they stole that was over the amount that by law they are allowed to keep.
- THAT is called a refund.
- Refunds are NOT gifts from the government. A refund is when you get back some of what was rightly yours to begin with.
Keep this in mind for NEXT year…
- Your goal should be to NOT get a refund from the government. If you break even with the IRS at the end of the year, that means they didn't get to have your money tax free for however long you allowed them to keep it.
- It is better to pay a little at the end of the year than it is to get money back. Open a savings account and put the money in there that you've been overpaying out of each paycheck. Adjust your withholdings so that you give the government less!
Stop it with the Cheney nonsense. If he got a refund, he deserved it. It means he overpaid his taxes up front.
By the way, the Cheneys donated 6.87 million to charity in 2005.
How'd YOU do?